Friday, August 9, 2013

Chest of Drawers Reconstruction

 When Chris and I were in New Mexico for his family reunion, we dropped by Hobby Lobby to get some things for his Mom. And I found an absolute treasure. Actually, it was a broken-down mess. It was what was once a beautiful piece of furniture...in pieces. Literally, in 8 splintered pieces. I think someone must have chucked it off the back of a truck, because it was absolutely dominated. The tag said that it was 90% off. We got this chest of drawers for $30 instead of $300. We squashed it into our trunk (next to the chop saw and drill, which for some reason had to come on vacation with us), and drove back to Provo with it a few days later.

We got home around 9:00, and we were so excited about our new piece of furniture that we put it back together that night. It was pretty simple. The wooden framing that separates the drawers was ripped out, and the interior drawer slides were all broken off, too. All of the drawer faces were separated, and one of them was completely off. It was made very poorly--no glue, no nails, no screws, just staples. (We were amazed they tried to sell it for 300, even intact...it probably cost them around 10 bucks to make!) With a few hours, some wood glue, apoxy, and a pair of pliers, we reconstructed the chest. Here's how it turned out:
 It doubles as a side table and a linen closet...I have all our towels (and some fabric and crafty stuff) organized inside it. I love furniture that has hidden storage!!

I got the lamp at a white elephant last year, and I made the pillows a few months ago with Ruth. (Oops, forgot to blog about that...) Ruth gave me the chevron fabric, and I chose Robert Allen's botanical blue print to accent it. They bring some comfort and color to our drab little apartment.
Ruth is a great sewing buddy...She not only let me use her machine and helped me work out the patterns, but she helped me rip out an entire pillow sham that I'd sewn the wrong way. (I'm hoping that she will someday want to learn how to reupholster with me! I have a dream of getting some cheap thrift store chairs and reupholstering them with dusty-rose floral fabric.)

No comments:

Post a Comment